In the process of doing power sports, athletes show strong and weak muscle groups, which is determined by individual parameters and genetics. But there are patterns that apply to almost all athletes. Namely, underdeveloped legs. To level this deficiency, it is especially important to pump an calf.
The calf muscles are often forgotten in the early training stages, trying to work out the chest, arms and back. As a result, exercises for pumping up calf are postponed for later or are rarely performed, which leads to a lack of progress.
This situation is associated with the features of the anatomy of this muscle group:
- The calf includes a huge number of small muscles.
- The calf is predisposed to prolonged stress (they work constantly when walking).
The drumstick itself consists of two large groups:
- Calf. Responsible for leg extension in the ankle joint in the standing position of the body. It is she who takes the lion’s share of the load for herself and determines the position of the foot on the ground.
- Lower calf. Usually this muscle group is much less developed, as it is responsible for the rotation of the ankle joint in a sitting position, when the weight of the whole body does not press on the shin.
When working on this muscle group, it is important to remember the following features:
- Gastrocnemius and soleus – this is a bunch that needs to be trained in the same way as biceps and brachialis.
- Calf is a small muscle group that responds well to loads with high weight and high intensity, but, as a rule, responds poorly to prolonged monotonous aerobic loads. The optimal scheme is to do exercises in full amplitude for 12-20 repetitions.
- The calf muscles participate in almost all exercises, which creates an additional need for their pumping in the early stages, while they are still susceptible to stress loads.
- Perform a training of this muscle group 2-3 times a week. There are two main approaches: 1-2 exercises at the end of each workout, or the calf approach in between the approaches to other muscle groups. Both options are good, you need to try both and see which result will be better for you specifically.