Quadriceps – a large complex of muscles on the front surface of the thigh, consists of 4 muscles:
– rectus femoris muscle (Rectus femoris),
– intermediate broad muscle of the thigh (Vastus intermedius),
– medial thigh muscle (Vastus medialis),
– lateral broad muscle of the thigh (Vastus lateralis).
All of them extend the leg in the knee joint, and the rectus muscle also helps flexion in the hip (hip lift).
Best leg muscle exercises
1. Squat with a barbell on the back
Surprise! – The classic squat remains the most effective exercise for the bottom. Although the muscles of the quadriceps and buttocks work most of all in it, the other groups are also seriously straining.
2. Bulgarian squat (crouching in a lunge with a hind leg on a raised platform)
Unilateral exercises are extremely useful for the balanced development of the leg muscles: in this embodiment, the load is shifted from the front to the back – activation of the biceps of the hips and buttocks is higher than in normal squats
3. Squat with a barbell on the chest
It would seem, why duplicate the movement? Although the front squat as a whole works out quadricepses just as efficiently as the usual version with a barbell on the shoulders, it has a couple of useful effects: it activates more those beams that weakly “break through” with the usual squat, and additionally loads a bunch of muscles of the top (dentate, the bottom of the trapezium, diamond-shaped and body stabilizers).